Immigration into Italy. Religious visa and employment visa.

A residence visa granted for religious reasons could be turned into employment visa, because the law does not expressly exclude the possibility.

Judge ruling : TAR Lazio, Sezione Prima Quater, sentenza del 17 novembre 2012, n. 9492

It is unlawful to deny, when confronted with the question, the conversion of a residence permit from religious reasons to reasons of employment, brought forward by the Administration, on the absence of legislative support.

Article 14 of Presidential Decree n. 394/1999, which indicates the activities allowed in relation to permits for reasons of employment, self-employment, family and study, expressly allows the conversion of such permits for the activity actually undertaken. The said provision, however, cannot be interpreted by the State, in the sense that only the mentioned types of residence permits may be subject to conversion and, consequently, for those not expressly mentioned, such conversion would normally not be allowed. It is, however, a firm obligation to verify the existence of entry quotas allowed for the category of the permit in question, to be performed by the Sole Agency.

Image credits: Italy

2013-07-16T17:51:51+00:00 By |Immigration, Religion|7 Comments

About the Author:

Michele Spadaro is an immigration lawyer based in Italy. He has worked with companies and professionals relocating to Italy from more than 40 different countries. When he's not on duty, Michele travels the countryside with his wife and two huge dogs.


  1. jaquilyngo 26 March 2014 at 1:57 pm - Reply

    Salve Señori Spadaro,
    My name is Jackie and domestic helper in Italy. We are 4 sisters im 25,the rest are 26,17,10 years old and my mom is single mom age 46. I want to bring my mother to Italy. How is the process sir? Thank you

  2. Syed Tahir Hussain Sheerazi 29 January 2017 at 7:15 am - Reply

    i am pakistani.i want to get religious immigration for italy.what i can do for this purpose

    • Michele Spadaro 2 February 2017 at 12:03 pm - Reply

      Hi, are you involved in any religious organization?

  3. Parsa K 27 April 2017 at 11:12 am - Reply

    I’m a Canadian citizen whos currently working and studying with a “student visa” in Italy however with my current visa type I can only earn a limited amount of money per year therefore I need to change my visa type from student visa to a “work visa” in order to be able to obtain a VAT identification number.
    would you kindly explain what my options are.

    • Michele Spadaro 28 April 2017 at 7:53 am - Reply

      Sorry, please clarify: have you a student visa, or a student permit ? Those are different documents.

  4. Marko 17 July 2017 at 4:22 pm - Reply

    HI Michele,

    I am non-EU resident, serbian nationality. To obtain a permesso di seggiorno to legally live and work in Italy, is it better to open s.r.l. or sole trade form a company? What’s your reccomendation?


    • Michele Spadaro 21 July 2017 at 1:09 pm - Reply

      better srl

Leave A Comment